COVID-19 Behavioral Health
As thousands of Louisiana residents with COVID-19 diagnoses and symptoms care for themselves in isolation, they may experience anxiety, depression or other mental health concerns. The Louisiana Mental Health Association (MHA) has partnered with Louisiana Healthcare Connections to offer free clinical trainings to Peer Support Specialists, Mental Health Rehabilitation (MHR) and other providers to assist them in addressing the needs of those living in isolation.
Each of the following 15-minute microlearnings is designed to provide a broad overview of the assigned topic. The courses are offered on-demand, and may be accessed via any mobile smart device. Instructions for accessing the courses may be found here (PDF).COVID-19 behavioral health course offerings include:
- Recognize the symptoms of the virus
- Understand how the virus is spread
- Learn ways to protect yourself and others
- Skills based model of interactive speaking.
- Techniques that demonstrates respect and acknowledgement with the aim to build rapport.
- Discuss OARS Model:
- Open Ended Questions
- Reflective Statements
- Define anger, aggression and de-escalation
- Identify four behavior levels
- Tension Reduction
- Identify potential responses and support to address behavior levels.
- Brief overview of Anxiety and PTSD
- Identify symptoms of Anxiety and PTSD
- Identify the difference between effective and ineffective communication.
- Identify at least three types of language styles.
- Review consequences of ineffective communication.
- Identify techniques and language styles to help improve communication.
- Focus on signs of compassion fatigue, burnout and secondary trauma.
- Discuss self-care strategies to stay mentally healthy during a high stressful time.
- Differentiate between compassion fatigue, burnout, and secondary trauma (conditions that reduce professional quality of life).
- List several prevention and self-care strategies to improve professional quality of life.