Get Help Applying for SSI or SSDI
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) are U.S. government programs. SSI and SSDI provide cash assistance to people who are blind, disabled or over the age of 65. Your Louisiana Healthcare Connections benefits do not change if you receive SSI or SSDI.
People who qualify for SSI can get up to $914 a month in cash.
How do you know if you or your child qualify for SSI?
- Do you have a medical condition that keeps you from working?
- Do you have a severe mental illness that keeps you from working (like schizophrenia)?
- Do you have problems sitting, standing, lifting, carrying, understanding or remembering?
- Do you have a Compassionate Allowances (CAL) condition?
- Do you have an illness that is not treatable, like severe cancer, ALS or AIDS?
- Do you have a diagnosis of End-Stage Renal Disease (ESRD)?
- Did you deliver a baby weighing 2.10 pounds (or less) at birth in the last six months?
- Does your child have a physical condition that seriously limits their activities?
- Does your child have a mental condition that seriously limits their activities?
If you answered “YES” to any of the questions above, you or your child may qualify for SSI. And if you are an adult who has worked for 10 years or more, you may qualify for higher benefits through SSDI.
Centauri Health Solutions can help you apply for SSI or SSDI.
Call our partner, Centauri Health Solutions, to find out if you qualify. You can reach them toll-free at 1-866-263-6608 (TTY: 711), Monday–Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m.
What to know before applying for benefits
Supplemental Security Income (SSI) and Social Security Disability Insurance (SSDI) both provide benefits based on disability or blindness. But the programs have different rules affecting eligibility and benefit payments. Centauri can help you find out if you qualify for SSI, SSDI or both.
Some people may qualify to receive both SSI and SSDI at the same time. This is called having “concurrent benefits.”
To apply for SSI or SSDI is hard and can take up to a year. But Centauri has a team of experts that can help you find out if you might be eligible. If you are, they’ll walk you through the application process. And their services are free for Louisiana Healthcare Connections members.
Centauri can improve your chance of success by making sure your application is completed correctly – and your case stays on track. Centauri will make sure any personal or medical information you give them is kept safe and secure.
Your Centauri Case Manager will need to ask you questions to find out if you are eligible. If you are, they will need more information to complete your SSI or SSDI application. Your Case Manager will need to ask you questions which may feel very personal. Centauri will keep confidential all personal and health information you give them.
Your Centauri Case Manager may ask about:
- Your medical conditions
- Your doctors and the medical care you’ve received
- Your date and place of birth
- Money and sources of income*
- Where you live and who you live with
- Things you own, such as vehicles, property and insurance policies
- Your citizenship or alien status
- Education or job training you may have received
- Your job history, if you have worked
- Your U.S. military service, if you were in the military
- Your husband or wife’s income, if you are married and living together
If you receive a call from a number you do not recognize and want to make sure it is from Centauri before giving your information, just hang up and call their toll-free main number at 1-866-263-6608 (TTY: 711), Monday–Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Or call Member Services at 1-866-595-8133 (TTY: 711), and we’ll be happy to transfer you.
*Centauri Health Solutions will never ask for your bank account number. Never give you bank account number to anyone over the phone.
Before you talk with a Centauri Case Manager, it’s a good idea to collect some documents and other information. This will help make the application process as quick and easy as possible. To start, you’ll need:
- Your Louisiana Healthcare Connections member ID card (You can print a copy from your member portal account.)
- Proof of age, such as a birth certificate
- The names and phone numbers of all the doctors you see
- Proof of income, such as bank statements, payroll stubs or records of other income
More documents or medical records may be needed to complete your application. Your Centauri Case Manager will tell you if you need to provide additional items.
Unfortunately, there are scam companies who may say they want to help you apply for SSI. Or they may say they want to help you fix a problem with your Social Security Number. But they are really trying to steal your personal information.
Centauri Health Solutions is not a scam company.
Louisiana Healthcare Connections has chosen Centauri as a trusted partner who can help our members apply for SSI and SSDI. Centauri may call you if they think you may be eligible. They will keep all your personal information safe and confidential.
To verify if a call you received is from Centauri, just call them directly! Call toll-free 1-866-263-6608 (TTY: 711), Monday–Thursday 7:30 a.m. to 10:00 p.m., and Friday 7:30 a.m. to 7:00 p.m. Or call Member Services at 1-866-595-8133 (TTY: 711) and we’ll be happy to transfer you.
Centauri Health Solutions will never ask for your bank account number. Never give you bank account number to anyone over the phone.