Skip to Main Content

Mental Health & Substance Use

Mental health and substance use treatment are important part of healthcare. If you think you might need mental health or substance use care, please call your doctor or Louisiana Healthcare Connections. We can help provide support, talk to your providers/doctors and connect you with specialists to help you or your child.

You do not have to get a referral from your doctor for these services. You can go to any provider in our network for these services. Providers will assist in helping to figure out what services might best meet your needs.

Louisiana Healthcare Connections covers these services listed below for most members. You can also view more information in our Member Handbook.

Louisiana Healthcare Connections covers necessary hospital visits for our members.

A psychiatrist is a medical doctor who is trained to treat mental health problems and substance use. Members with mental health issues have access to psychiatrists who can make sure you get the care you need.

If you are having a severe mental health problem or a crisis, you can get help right away. You may get help at:

  • A hospital emergency room
  • A medical or mental health clinic
  • Where you live, work or go to school
  • Through our 24/7 Crisis Hotline, 1-844-677-7553 (Hearing Loss: 711) – A crisis counselor will work with you, your family and your provider to help you get the care you need.

Members with mental health or substance use issues may talk to one of our counselors anytime you need help. These counselors are licensed by the State of Louisiana and can be:

  • Doctors
  • Psychologists
  • Medical Psychologists
  • Counselors
  • Social Workers
  • Advanced Practice Nurses (Nurses who are especially skilled in mental health treatment.)

This service provides a place for children (under age 21) to live and get treatment.

This service allows children with mental health issues (under age 21) to live in a home-like setting with a small group of peers to help them feel better, find new friends and do better at home, school and work.

Members with mental illness or substance use issues can get counseling in their home, work or school. This kind of counseling involves:

  • Planning and problem-solving to feel more comfortable and confident with day-to-day living
  • Finding friends and feeling more comfortable with others
  • Learning to avoid things that cause problems
  • Planning your treatment with family members and other helpers

This service is to help members feel healthy and comfortable with other people. This counseling can include family members and other helpers. It may involve:

  • Learning ways to help you feel better and stay better
  • Finding new friends and feeling more comfortable with other people
  • Avoiding things that cause problems
  • Making a plan and taking classes that interest you
  • Help looking for a job

Members with substance use issues can get counseling and treatment to help stop over-using alcohol or drugs. It can include treatment in a residential facility.

Your provider will write a prescription for you if you need medication. If you have questions about your medication, ask the person prescribes your medications. You may also call Mental Health Services at 1-844-677-7553 (Hearing Loss: 711).

This type of therapy is based on the study of how people learn. Helps increase useful behaviors and reduce self harm. May help people with autism spectrum disorders.

Accessing Services

You can access mental health and substance use services by calling Mental Health Services at 1-844-677-7553 (Hearing Loss: 711).

You may go directly to a provider. A member may contact any provider in Louisiana Healthcare Connections’ network for services. The provider will coordinate your care and services. To find a provider, use our Find a Provider Search or call 1-844-677-7553 (Hearing Loss: 711).

Crisis Support

You can get help right away if you are having a mental health problem or a crisis. Call our 24/7 Mental Health Services line to speak with a licensed mental health counselor at 1-844-677-7553 (Hearing Loss: 711).

For life-threatening situations, always call 911.